I had the chance of doing a visit in Mandarin Oriental in Barcelona, I have also worked in the hotel so I know it quite well on the inside. It is a special spot of luxury in middle of Passeig de Gràcia. A luxury 5 stars hotel that defines itself in every single detail with interior decoration by Spanish designer Patricia Orquiola. I love the decoration in the hotel minimalist but with soul, there is a common style on beige colour around the hotel. The hotel is in a superb location, it is in the finest shopping area of the city and also minutes away from Gaudi's buildings.
MO Barcelona rooms
The hotel has 98 rooms in total, 10 of them suites. Very chic materials in rooms, bathroom sinks are made of one piece of corian, exclusive amenities from different brands depending on the room category (red flower, la prairie and acqua di parma)
Rooms go from 595 euros of the standard room until 10000 euros a night for the penthouse. All suite rooms include a butler service. I was very surprised when I worked here but it is very typical on suites in luxury hotels.
There is also housekeeping service twice a day, day time service and the turn down ( I love it!!, get ready for bed time).
Amazing decoration full of safety boxes, the hotel is placed in what used to be the Hispano American Bank. They have used the safety boxes of the bank to decorate the bar in a very stylish way. It is a cocktail bar and you can have some snacks too.
Mandarin Oriental has the Michelin-starred Moments by Carme Ruscalleda, well-known around for its finest cuisine. Blanc Brasserie and Gastrobar, also offers a Mediterranean cuisine menu and also oriental classics. In the afternoon you can try the Afternoon tea, incredible I must say after trying my self, have a look at my Afternoon tea with diamonds at the Mandarin Oriental Barcelona.
This is one of the things I certainly love about hotels, their terrace. It has a mini pool where you can freshen up your feet and in summer time have a cocktail while you admire the city's skyline. There are plenty of very comfy chairs and sofas that allow you to relax after a day of shopping and walking around the city.
Interesting facts about Mandarin Oriental Barcelona
The Spa is one of the best in Europe, spacious cabins and exclusive treatments for house guests and also for clients from the outside.
- Manolo Blahnik has his only shop in Barcelona inside the Mandarin Oriental hotel.
- There are different kinds of clients, one thing that surprised me is the preferences of the clients depending on their origin. Europeans prefer the rooms on the inside because they are very quiet and have a balcony that looks to the MimosaGarden. On the other hand the Americans do not like rooms with the courtyard view but they do prefer the rooms on Passeig de Gràcia.
- Mimosa garden is fantastic restaurant that combines Mediterranean and Asian cuisine it is located in the inside of the hotel. Closed in winter time, my recommendation is the mimosa cocktail, a classic of the garden.
What I love the most about Mandarin Oriental
- Service, service and service. The quality is amazing;, the staff has high standards and the service given in any of the things you try is excellent: spa, dinning, room service etc…
- I love the tiny details that make something special: decoration, fantastic presentation of dishes, great music in Blanc restaurant with a pianist playing live etc…
- Smell: The Mandarin Barcelona has a particular smell, yes it does, it smells like amber
Disclaimer: The afternoon tea and the tour around the hotel has been offered by Mandarin Oriental Barcelona. As always the opinions are my own. You can't buy love.